Yang Guo sounds like a very insecure person. I have also commented while watching ROCH95 that he always feel that no one loves him except XLN and he kept repeating this to himself. He became better when he grew older, but, I don't he will ever be able able to let go completely of this baggage (very few people can let go of childhood baggage).
No matter who he loves most, I agree with you that XLN suited him more. He will always feel some perceived slight from GF even if she never intended it, and GF is neither a thoughtful nor tactful person. They won't have very peaceful relationship. XLN, on the other hand, started out as his teacher. So, he will always have a certain respect for her. He will more willingly listen to her and even if she disagrees with him, he won't feel like it's a slight to his person/pride.
But, I do like to see an alternate ending where YG and GF end up together, where GF has grew in maturity and understanding and YG has sufficiently let go of his baggage.
it's rare for people to let go of their baggage--it would take a very strong and suitable person to achieve that. i don't see GF fulfilling that role because she was just too spoiled and pampered (she was the only child for, what, 15 years?!), and she's still got a temper, no matter how mature she ends up becoming. theirs will always be a volatile relationship. and could easily become a very unhealthy, borderline abusive one.
the only situation where this might not be the result is if they come together in their old age, when all the fire and stubborness and rebellious streaks have all mellowed out.
well, since JY did leave room for interpretation, (and even if he hadn't) people can choose to believe what they want about who ends up with who and how they lived out their lives.
getting back to the point about JY intending XLN to have died, does that necessarily mean that YG ends up with GF? don't forget, she was practically engaged to YLQ at that point. and i really don't see GF pining away and staying a spinster to wait to see if there's a chance YG would get over his grief and the animosity between them. and even if he did get over his grief, he has plenty of other options, like ching ying and lu wushuang, so why would GF have been the 1st choice?
the light barge traverses endless mountains
- Yang Guo cares very much about what GF think of him. When GF made fun of him or thought less of him, he got very angry. But, LWS called him 'stupid egg' and he's not angry. ---> GF's opinion counts, cause she's GJ's daughter, while LWS was a totally stranger. People tend to have competition with their own siblings or relatives. And I guess this is the reason why GF's opinions matter a lot for YG.
- GF cut off his arm and unintentionally poisoned his beloved Gugu, but, he ever thought of taking revenge on her. -->I don't remember if this is from book or from the 1983 adaptation, but there's a part when YG came and about to take revenge on GF. But then YG saw how GJ was a righteous person who wanted to kill GF because of her wrongdoing, and if not because of HR's intervention GF would surely have died. YG then considered GJ's righteous act and how the Yang and Guo family relationship in the past that he decided to let go and didn't try to take any revenge. Besides, losing one arm was a kind of blessing in disguise for him that he could master that DGQB's swordmanship.
- Near the end of the story, while they were fighting enemies during GX's birthday party, he still want GF to apologize/admit wrong to him before he saved her husband. He still cannot let go of GF thinking badly or less of him after so many years and after he found his true love. --> Yes of course you could forgive someone, but then you still want to demand an apology. YG has a big ego, having GF to kneel down and beg him to save her husband and ask her to apologize is a way for him to humiliate GF.
- YG's love for Little Dragon Girl grew out of respect and familiarity. He never thought of loving LDG before she confessed her love for him. --> cause probably he was just taking it for granted when she's around. but when they were apart, he knew how much he loved her.
- In real history Yelu Qi's father has become Mongol's respected minister who supposedly contribute alot for Yuan Dynasty. How could that be? Reason - Yelu Qi betrayed the Guos and Song Kingdom, thus, GF and YLQ seperated. I think Yelu Qi's father died in the novel.That's how the feud between his family and the girl who later married one of GJ's disciple was resolved.
- LDG actually wasn't cured of the poison. The honey and white fish she ate all those kept the poison at bay. After reuniting with YG, and didn't take the honey and fish, her poison came back and she died. --> wild assumption, I think.
- Why GX suddenly decide to become a Taoist nun and form Er-Mei at 40? Reason - she got to know that YG end up with GF and she was upset. --> but if she had known that YG ended up with YG, she didn't have to spend many years to look for him. In HSDS the novel mentioned that GX looked for YG and XLN for many years until then she realized that she's old already and how she already wasted time for nothing.
So, the current consensus is still YG loves XLN the most.
What about second place? Could GF occupy the second place or there's really no second place in YG's heart?
Lets say XLN did died from poison, will Cheng Ying, Lu Wu Shuang or Guo Xiang have a chance?
What do you think was the original intended ending that Jin Yong has in mind? Did JY intend YG who stay alone and single at the end of the story to make it bittersweet and tragic? Or he intended YG to end up with GX? He did write a relationship with large age gap in the sequel, HSDS. Maybe he originally created GX for the purpose of ending up with Yang Guo.
given how things stood soon after XLN supposedly jumped to her death, i think YG would've ended up alone because:
(1) he became the blood brother to cheng ying and lu wushuang--it's pretty clear that he's telling them, once and for all, that he doesn't view them as romantic interests, and they are resigned to that fact (2) GF and YLQ were heading toward marriage and given YG's state of mind, there's no way he would've even consideredcoming between them
i think, having babysat her, YG also firmly viewed GX as a younger sister. even after GX reached age of majority, i doubt YG would've seen her in a different light. which is probably a good thing anyway, given that HR really feared that YG would violate GX as a way of getting revenge on her (and GF) for how they abused him. i'm very certain that HR would have had huge objections if YG asked for GX's hand in marriage.
my two cents!
the light barge traverses endless mountains
siuyiu: @all i know the spamming is out of control--i've emailed our admin. hope she replies soon! meanwhile, for those who are able, click on the spam threads and in the "settings", see if you can click "report this". that should at least alert the server.
Jun 7, 2016 23:50:29 GMT
reinafu: Hello, all, I see that there are 141 members on this forum, but we seem to be only 4 or 5 who regularly post ?!! Where are you all ?!! Don't be shy and begin to post, it's a cool forum here and we need much more discussions, informations, cool pictures !!!
Aug 4, 2018 11:26:16 GMT
siuyiu: @caiyi yes, we've heard the sad news. yenchin started a thread. and thanks for the late wishes.
Oct 31, 2018 22:26:32 GMT
caiyi: siuyiu. Oh. I tried to search for any tread about the news but didn't find. So, I put at Shoutbox. I didn't look at the right section.
Nov 1, 2018 1:20:24 GMT
Admin: hi guys! I'm adding a new section on the forum. Since so many of good ancient costume series appear in the market, like Nirvana in Fire, etc. A bit touch of wuxia, but not really wuxia. Some are historical fictions with a touch of wuxia,
Nov 28, 2018 9:14:58 GMT
Admin: hope you all enjoy it
Nov 28, 2018 9:15:06 GMT
chefying: Happy Winter Solstice to all celebrating.
Dec 22, 2018 8:54:14 GMT
Admin: Merry Christmas everyone!!
Dec 24, 2018 6:06:30 GMT
reinafu: Merry Christmas to all members and their families !
Dec 24, 2018 20:42:10 GMT
siuyiu: Merry Christmas @all! May the Boards be even busier in the new year!
Dec 24, 2018 22:10:42 GMT
reinafu: Happy New Year to all members and their families !
Jan 1, 2019 11:12:35 GMT
Admin: happy new year all members and their families!
Jan 2, 2019 2:34:11 GMT
siuyiu: @all happy new year!
Jan 2, 2019 5:18:11 GMT